“Notes on a Scandal” (2006)

Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench


My last movie recommendation before the Independent Spirit Awards and the Academy Awards.

Richard Eyre’s “Notes on a Scandal” stands out most for its fabulous acting. Ever since Jim Jarmusch’sCoffee & Cigarettes” I consider Cate Blanchett to be one of the most talented actors. Of course, Judi Dench’s abilities are never called into question either. Not to undermine Bill Nighy who doesn't get as much screen time but one of the best scenes.

Sometimes I wonder: if I become aware of great acting while watching a film, doesn’t it mean it was too obviously ‘Acting’ and I’ve been pulled out of the movie? In this case I never felt pulled out – I was just amazed at how real all these extreme emotions came across. There is an especially truthful moment when the husband and wife stand by the door – quite heart-wrenching (you’ll know when it happens).

A fantastic film for adults with themes of mid-life and the relationships of full adults. How rare and precious. Yet never a dull moment; with twists and turns and suspense “Notes on a Scandal” never comes across as a preachy, moral tale for grown-ups.

On IMDb
On Rotten Tomatoes
On Netflix
Official Site